Grandma Eckdahl

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Backdraft

Have you ever seen that movie "Backdraft"? It has been some time since I have seen the movie but when the firemen open the door the flames just leap out in a fury and it kind of sounds like you would think hell would be like. It is exactly like the movie. How do I know? Well I had a small backdraft last night. I was going to check the wood stove. There are these 3 little holes in the door of the stove so I could see that it was not burning very good. I thought I would just open the door, stir up the fire and head to bed. Well I opened the door and all of a sudden flames were leaping out and sounded like a devil's growl. I quickley slammed the door shut but it was too late. I cinged my hair and my eyelashes. My eyelashes are very, very short. I don't think mascara would even help. I can't imagine what would have happened had I not had my glasses on. I won't be using the wood stove until I can get someone to clean the chimney.

I will be posting some pictures from the weekend tonight. I have to get a birthday card ready for a very special grandson who turns 8 tomorrow. I forgot it at home yesterday so I couldn't mail it so it is going to be late. Sorry Levi. I hope everyone has a great day.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:30 PM , Blogger gmadxe said...

    OhMyGod, Trisha! That is sooooo scary! I hope you are okay. Is that why you were blogging at 4 in the morning???
    I'm sure that will enforce some people's thinking that you should get off the farm.
    Take care...."D"

     
  • At 11:50 PM , Blogger Robert Eckdahl said...

    Silly Grandma...I don't know that the problem is the chimney needing cleaned. It's probably more realted to it being too short! Remember how dad had talked about that he was thinking he was going to need to add another tile to it? The problem is that if it's not tall enough, it doesn't create a draft, so when you opened the door, it suddenly had the air it needed (thus the backdraft). At least it wasn't as big of a backdraft as what was in the movie. That was quite graphic!

     
  • At 5:14 PM , Blogger Doodles said...

    Well Robert sounds encouraging doesn't he, so now what do you do???? I'm with Dixie, are you ready to move from the farm????
    Take care and your eyelashes will probably grow out again but I'm sure its going to be a few days or months or whatever.

     
  • At 5:07 PM , Blogger Rox said...

    Okay, I'm going to add my two cents. I think you and mom need to buy a cool condo in Fremont. Nuff said!

     
  • At 12:43 PM , Blogger Amy said...

    Sure does add the wanting her off the farm! What next? Aleady they are talking about trees touching wires that are live and causing the electric bill to go up. So Josh said the only ground is wood and that is not a very good ground. I hope the house doesn't burn down! I would be with Rox too, but if your going to get a condo go somewhere warm.

     
  • At 4:52 PM , Blogger gmadxe said...

    Okay, Trisha....your eyelashes HAVE to be grown out by now. Your kids have updated their blogs...where is yours???? "D"

     
  • At 9:13 PM , Blogger Patti said...

    No my eyelashes have not grown out yet. I checked this morning. I wish they would grow.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home